Communication and Engagement
Communication and parental engagement is something we really encourage at our school. As well as the usual methods of face-to-face or telephone contact, we also use online communication to help keep you informed more effectively and conveniently. A range of events and opportunities to be immersed in school life and your child's journey through primary school are also on offer. Below is a summary of the various forms of communication and engagement, as well as more details about how our main communication methods should be used.
- ParentMail and Class Dojo: are the main forms of written communication – information about how these methods are used is outlined below.
- The School Website and Website Calendar: Most school information and policies can be found on our website, and the website calendar also shows all term dates and scheduled events and activities https://www.desford.leics.sch.uk/school-calendar/
- The classroom door: Staff welcome brief questions and queries at the end of the school day. Please approach staff at the classroom door when they have finished seeing children out.
- Face to face or phone call: Where more time or privacy is needed, please arrange a mutually agreeable time to meet face to face or to have a phone call.
- School Volunteers: After completing a safeguarding induction, we welcome parent volunteers to assist with reading or other tasks in the classroom to gain experience in schools or simply to be more involved with school life.
- Open mornings/trips: Parents will sometimes be invited to help out with activities with the children in school or on school trips, giving a snapshot of what it is like to be a child at DCPS.
- Assemblies and Class Visits: Children present and share learning and achievements in a year group assembly, and this gives parents the opportunity to come together as well. Class visits offer a further opportunity for parents to look at children's work in the classroom and chat informally with year group staff.
- Performances and Celebrations: There are a range of performances across the school year such as the EYFS nativity, KS1 Carols in the Playground, KS2 Christmas Carol Concerts, Year 6 leavers assembly and performance. Information about these are sent to parents directly via ParentMail.
- Friends of Desford Community Primary School (FODCPS): Our dedicated volunteer parent and staff group host a number of events across the school year that helps to raise significant funds for the school that enhance the children's enjoyment and experience at school. Children's laptops, iPads, the pirate ship, the bandstand shelter, the Be Kind playground Mural and much more have been funded by the FODCPS. More information about this group can be found on our website.
and the School Office
ParentMail and the School Office
Most information will be sent to you via the ParentMail App which also links with your email.
Please use the school office to:
- Notify us about pupil absence & medical needs.
- Inform us about pupil collection arrangements.
- Give consent, sign up for and make payments for clubs, trips or dinners.
- Book Parents' Evening appointments
What to expect from the ParentMail:
- Receive newsletters and important information.
- Notification about upcoming events.
- Booking details for before/after school clubs.
- A response to any enquiries.
You can also find further information and diary dates on the school website by clicking here:
Class Dojo forms part of our behaviour system in school and is a direct link to the classroom.
Parents/carers are invited to use Class Dojo to:
- Ask short questions about learning or behaviour
- Arrange a meeting with the class teacher
- Make enquiries about homework
- View reports about behaviour
- Access school and class stories to keep up to date with what has happened in school
What to expect from Class Dojo:
- A short response to your messages within 48hrs
- Photos and information about class activities
- Automated pupil behaviour reports
- Messages from staff to arrange meetings
Staff are not required to respond to enquiries outside of their working hours, at weekends or
during school holidays. Dojo Messages may not be seen until after the end of the school day.
URGENT MESSAGES SHOULD ALWAYS BE CALLED THROUGH TO THE SCHOOL OFFICE
LiFE MAT Survey
At least once a year, the school will send a survey to parents that requests feedback on a wide range of topics associated with school life. All of the schools in the LiFE MAT send this survey out. The outcomes from the survey are closely analysed to help to identify areas that can be included in the school improvement plan, as well as so that the LiFE MAT board of trustees and central team can identify common themes or areas for support. Links to this survey are sent out to parents via email.
Feedback and Suggestion Form
We do however welcome your opinions and suggestions at any time of the year on how we could improve the school experience for you and your family. You can make those suggestions using the link to an online form below, or by completing a feedback form and posting it in the suggestion box in the school foyer.
Constructive feedback and suggestions can help us to provide an improved school experience for you.
Please provide your suggestion by clicking on the following link, explaining why you think your suggestion will be of benefit and for whom it will be of benefit to. If you have more than one suggestion, please submit each suggestion you have on a separate form. Click here for online suggestion form.
The feedback and suggestion form is for constructive ideas or improvements. If you are dissatisfied with something in relation to school, please contact the school office or use the school complaints policy to raise your concerns. This policy can be found here (link)