School Dinners at Desford Community Primary School are cooked on-site by the Leicestershire School Meals Service. Our kitchens also cater for two other local schools. All of our meals meet or exceed National nutritional standards. The kitchens are regularly inspected and have the highest possible hygiene rating.
There were big changes in school meals provision that took effect from the beginning of the Autumn term 2014-15.
The Big Picture:
- From the start of 2014-15 all Foundation Stage and Key Stage One children have been entitled to a school dinner without charge under the Universal Key Stage One Meals Scheme. If you would like your child to have a free meal daily under this scheme, please contact the school office, or email us the form attached to this page.
- In 2017-18 it is still the case that all children whose parents are in receipt of specific State Benefits are entitled to Free School Meals. Information on this is attached to this page. We strongly recommend that you apply for Free School Meals if you think that you are entitled, and we can help you with this. We are able to provide a set of free school uniform annually, free school trips and free before-and-after-school clubs to all children in receipt of Free School Meals.
- Paid-for meals cost £2.20 daily, or £11.00 per week.
- Dinner money is collected on Mondays only and should be sent into school in a sealed envelope with your child’s name and class written on the front.
- If you miss the payment day for whatever reason, your child can have school meals in that week with the expectation that the money is paid on the following Monday. We will text you a reminder on the Friday. We cannot allow dinner money arrears to build up and school dinners will not be available after this until the debt is cleared.
- Parents of all children having school dinners will need to send us a weekly order form specifying which days meals are required, unless your child is having dinners on the same days throughout the half term when this can be indicated on the same form. This must come to school on Monday, or on the first day your child is back in school if they miss Monday. We no longer provide school meals on a daily, ad hoc basis.
- The 2017-18 Winter/Spring menus are available below.
The Key Stage 2 school dinners menu for Winter /Spring 2017-18 is accessible here
The menu for Foundation Stage and Key Stage 1 is the same EXCEPT that the baked potato option isn't available.
A vegetarian option is available daily but only to vegetarians. Please contact school if you would like to arrange this for your child.